Monday, November 2, 2009

If only life was really that simple

Because I take photos like mad. I also don't really have a rhyme or reason for the madness. The mood just takes me... and when I resist I often find myself wondering "What if?"

This is one pic I didn't really need prompting to take. It is one of those pictures where you can say, this is where it all started... if it is a picture that will gain that sort of relevance in later life.

Motheo and Zingisa are really only aware of each other becasue their parents know each other. How that relationship came into being is not documented as well as Motheo and Zingisa's whole thing will be.

Once while leaving some fancy ass art gallery in Trafalgar Square, London when I was 19 and basically living away from home for the first time, I was stopped by a researcher from the gallery who wanted to know what I thought about the whole experience. Finally she asked me what I would like to have seen in the exhibition. Instantly I knew what it was. The work of the artists when they were much, much younger, before they became apprentices or art students. In my mind I saw some squiggles on a wall somewhere and a very tenuous link with the frankly mind altering works of art in that fancy gallery. She gaped a bit and also thought it was a good idea. We left it at that and have never been back to that place since.

So I shot a random picture of two babies. Its very isolated in that it purposely focused on the bambinos, there is no real sense of space, time or occasion in the composition. Their interaction can be read in millions of ways... but I still live in the hope that I caught something special here. Wouldn't it be grand to present something like this to a newly married couple, pointing out that this was them at the very beginning...

If only life was really that simple.

No comments: