Thursday, April 22, 2010

Music Is

During one pointless summer back in 2003 music stopped being about the moment and started being about the history it made. With the sick ass peeps dragged in from all corners of the globe by Redbull I was experiencing something new musically every single waking hour for better than 6 weeks. Obviously I couldn't cope even though I was pissing Redbull at one point in the wakeful madness. The whole period is one warm glow in my musical memories, nothing too specific... but...

Snippets:-


While in Marvel Street Bar I saw a hot hot Italian woman, turned out to be a one time producer for that now old skool fashion & style show on MTV, Stylissimo (remember that?) It was surreal watching this glamed out gal get down on ALL FOURS at Marvel during a killer moment in an already killer set. Out of nowhere an old bali tried to mount her right there on the floor... then the music switched and everyone regained sanity. I almost tripped over my bottom jaw as I turned to see who was doing this to the peeps on the floor. P Nice... he didn't even crack a smile.


Quote "...It's... it's... it's like he raped his mother or something..." Brandon trying to describe the patently unique way that Markus Wormstorm creates his music.

Upstairs at The Lounge there was a sliver of dance floor, back then anyway, I have no idea what it looks like now... but that doesn't matter. So I overhear some one, who obviously was responsible for the sound there, tell the DJ not to turn up the bass too much. So the DJ nods in response, first track on and the damn floor is vibrating to some murderous drum n bass. The DJ, J Da Flex, obviously doesn't take too kindly to being told what to do when he gets on them decks. Nothing blew that night but it was a scary nice feeling dancing on that floor and feeling it sag rhythmically. Or on numerous occasions feeling my skin vibrating with the bass bin.

Quote "This one if for my grand mother!" Torsten getting me and about three other people to do gangster poses for pictures in the toilets.

I walk in from my bedroom at 6AM to find about seven people gathered around our battered coffee table. These two European journalists suddenly threw down a gang of drugs and proceeded to babble on about how they were shocked at their own greed "because it was sooo cheap!" Cape Town DJ's and artists don't let that shit slide. By the time the Table Mountain cable car opened for its first run up the mountain, the contraband had see flames and peeps were lined up to take in the sights... minus the journalists who allegedly gave up after buying everyone a ticket up the mountain. I went back to my bed, ba peka makgoa.


Quote "..." (utter silence) when I suddenly switched to Swedish in the middle of an interview with Erlend Øye in a glorified spaza shop across the street from Sutra during a live broadcast on Spectrum 91.3 (the Redbull temporary radio station). Dude stepped out into the street and back into the club shaking his head in disbelief thus ending the interview. (Swedish & Norwegian have enough similarities for them to be understandable to both nations)




Quote "... ya know they just ain't gettin it bruv, ya naa meeen?" Tim Westwood whispering aside to me about the confused reacton he got when he played a clip of him in a huge SUV and some party scenes from some random club night in the UK somewhere.


All pics www.redbullmusciacademy.com

No comments: