Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The most ingenious semicolon

An excerpt from an email...

I read about half of Anthony and Cleopatra, it was so beautiful it almost broke me in pieces. I normally don't like love stories but there were a few lines that stay with me constantly. One of them is when one of Anthony's followers describes Cleopatra appearing on the Nile the first time they see her; its all about her hair being silver and the water made of gold and everything, but its just so beautiful, like looking at a painting and discovering details. It also contained maybe the most beautiful sentence I have ever read. Anthony tells Cleopatra that he has to leave. She understands that she will most probably
never see him again and everything is over. At some point I was really thinking "What is there to say now? What can she possibly add to this conversation now?" and when Anthony is finished with his speech, her sentence comes, so simple: "You will heat my blood; no more." That is (pardon my nerdyness) the most ingenious semicolon I have ever seen. Anyway, hope you like it.

And you know it never did occur to me but that semi colon is devastating.

1 comment:

Akona Ndungane said...

love this
that really got me thinking
i can just imagine Cleopotra looking regal and saying that. You will heat my blood, pause, no more.
Heartwrenching